Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
roof structure

Posted by renna44 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 3, 10 at 13:59

I am hoping for some advice or ideas on my upcoming new roofing. I have a few home repair projects & got some great advice over in the Hvac section on ductwork.

I have a couple contractors coming to view and bid & I am trying to educate myself a bit in advance. I've got a decent grip on the parts of a roof & shingle types, etc, but can't seem to figure out this one particular troublesome section of the roof. (I don't even know the technical wording for this part of roof). It's the part starting mid way and extending over the porch. see pic. Obviously some dips near the pipes, but beyond that, the section just seems out of sorts, at least visually. Do I need to just have that section completely torn off and start over? Or can it be built up or something (during the re-roofing process) to improve the look? The scale? Should I be thinking about new pillars and or some type of "something" -trimming? - to help the porch look?

The roof is low pitch, and the house is approx 1700 sq ft inc the attached garage. It's a long, narrow ranch, approx 22 x 75, built in 1960. Thanks in advance for any and all direction! PS...am I in the right forum for this question?

Here is a link that might be useful: Roof Pic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: roof structure

The dips around the vent pipes may be an indication that the pipe flashing has failed at some time and the sheathing is now water damaged there and should be replaced.
You might try the Remodeling forum for advice on how to make the roof more visually appealing. I would look at having the 'bump up' on the left side rebuilt as a gable coming out perpendicular to the main roofline. I would also want to minimize the 'street visibility' of those vent pipes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here