Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caulk around kitchen sink won't stay put - wipes off

Posted by peabody1 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 13:54

We have a problem with the caulk around our kitchen sink not staying put. We've caulked it, let it dry 24 hours. We've even had our painter caulk it. A week or so later we notice that the caulk is mostly gone. Just from wiping the water off the counter that gets on it when you do dishes. I think painter used GE Silicone II (not sure) (no smell) and also have tried DAP Kwik Seal for tubs & sinks. What do people usually use that won't wipe off so easily?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caulk around kitchen sink won't stay put - wipes off

Tell me more. What is the composition of sink and counter?
Where exactly are you caulking? Around the rim? Doesn't the rim fit snug against the counter top?

Are you using plumber's putty when setting the sink in place?

o

Pull the sink and use a rope of plumber's putty. That's all you need to ensure a proper seal for a top mount sink. If this is an undermount sink, silicone will not adhere to a badly cleaned surface. It has to be spotless, with all of the old caulk removed.

o

Plumbers putty is fine for stainless steel sinks, but not composite/etc.

I use GE Kitchen and Bath caulk on Formica and tile of all kinds.

The surfaces need to be completely dry and clean. I generally wipe with alcohol, let dry, and apply the material. I then finish the application by using a feathering tool designed to make the proper profile. Some people use their finger, wetted with water. I have found that actiually causes problems with sink to countertop joint sealing.

o

We don't know the composition of sink or counter....yet...:)

o

Check the date on the caulk you're using. There's been very little publicity about it, but recent changes in VOC regulations have had a good deal of effect on all brands and types of caulk. Somewhere on the cartridge or tube there is a "use by" date. If you're much -and sometimes only a bit - beyond that date the caulk does not dry properly and is therefore easy to unintentionally wipe off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here