Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing slider screen door with hinged door

Posted by lostmotion (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 13:54

We have an Andersen french door looking slider. Although both sections look alike only one moves and has its own slider screen door. The other section rests against the sill and head jamb and is stationary. Being between the kitchen dining area and deck it gets a lot of warm weather traffic.

Manually closing the screen door gets to be annoying, especially when your hands are full. Has anyone ever installed a conventional hinged door to replace a sliding screen door? This is a light door with no provisions for installing a heavy storm window in it, so weight would would not be an issue. The stationary section looks more than robust enough to hold a screen door and has about a 6" wide stile to attach the hinge side to.
Thanks for your input, Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing slider screen door with hinged door

Any Andersen Warranty will be null and void. I would need to look at the details later this evening but I cannot see how you would attached it for proper sealing without a bunch of blocking which would look like ass in my opinion. Ryobi used to make a sliding door screen closer.

o
RE: replacing slider screen door with hinged door

There are a number of tapes and technical adhesives used in the adhesion of metal to metal, so the hinges should not be a problem.
However, the fit, and latching will be a challenge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here