Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lostmotion

replacing slider screen door with hinged door

lostmotion
10 years ago

We have an Andersen french door looking slider. Although both sections look alike only one moves and has its own slider screen door. The other section rests against the sill and head jamb and is stationary. Being between the kitchen dining area and deck it gets a lot of warm weather traffic.

Manually closing the screen door gets to be annoying, especially when your hands are full. Has anyone ever installed a conventional hinged door to replace a sliding screen door? This is a light door with no provisions for installing a heavy storm window in it, so weight would would not be an issue. The stationary section looks more than robust enough to hold a screen door and has about a 6" wide stile to attach the hinge side to.
Thanks for your input, Jim

Comments (3)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Any Andersen Warranty will be null and void. I would need to look at the details later this evening but I cannot see how you would attached it for proper sealing without a bunch of blocking which would look like ass in my opinion. Ryobi used to make a sliding door screen closer.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

There are a number of tapes and technical adhesives used in the adhesion of metal to metal, so the hinges should not be a problem.
    However, the fit, and latching will be a challenge.

• Donnac Gagner
    3 years ago

Yes you can and we have done it! Our slider was made out of wood and we hated that stupid sliding door, so we bought a cheap lightweight wooden screen door put some hinges on it and it worked perfectly! We did have to get a turnbuckle for it and oh how I loved that door! Unfortunately we bought a new slider and it’s vinyl so we can’t screw the hinges into It , I have put up with another crappy sliding screen door and I’m about to have my husband put on another wooden one even though it will have to swing the wrong way.