please rate this caulking job.

Posted by auntyara (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 13:53

photo 1383074096.jpg

my contractor said it's fine. I think not

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please rate this caulking job.

Can't tell what we are looking at. I need better pictures. I suspect that what is caulked should not need caulk or should not be caulked, but....

o

Yes, a better pic is needed. But, it looks like a location that a vented soffit intersects another vented soffit? If that's the case then ionized is correct. That shouldn't need caulk or have caulk applied. Caulk never makes up for mismeasuring.

o

I give it 2 Tubes out of 10.
:)
Casey

o

2 tubes out of 10 lol very funny!
here are some other pictures
this is the upper corner above my front door, so I really want it to look as nice as possible

photo 1383320461.jpg

photo 1383320575.jpg

photo 1383320499.jpg

It's hard to see but the caulk has gaps around the edges too. I thought caulk was supposed to be smoothed into the area not just gobbed on. I'm semi clueless when it come to caulk on the outside of a house
Laura

o

There should not be any caulk there. The outer cladding materials of homes are supposed to shed water by making it run down hill. It is not supposed to be sealed.

Sometimes caulk is used for appearance, to smooth the transition between things when painting. If there is a large gap where this caulk is, someone measured something wrong when the work was done. Was work recently done?

o

yes I had to do the final walk around before he was finished because we had to got to a barbeque to meet our new inlaws. I contacted him to tell him there was a few things that need attention and he got a bit crabby but said he would come by today and look.
Is it true that you shouldn't mitre cut the trim around the windows because they will break off?
and what about this?
 photo 1383324427.jpg
Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here