Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving Attic Access -- Same Rafter or Different ??

Posted by wrldruler (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 13:45

I am converting my garage into a family room. I have an existing access panel for the garage attic. Problem is that it is located right next to where I want to install a ceiling fan. The fan blades will block the access panel, so I want to move the opening just enough to avoid the fan.

The current opening was made by cutting one 2x10 rafter, and heading it off.

I have 2 choices. I can move my opening like 12 inches North, or like 32 inches West. I need your advice on what is more structurally sound.

For the North option, I would stay in the same rafter bays. I would cut the same rafter another 12 inches or so, and put another header board across.

For the West option, I would jump to a different set of bays. I would cut a new rafter, and add header boards across.

Sturturally speaking, which is my better option? Cut the same rafter another 12 inches, or cut a new rafter?

Thanks,

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving Attic Access -- Same Rafter or Different ??

If you frame it correctly, it doesn't matter where you put it.
Ron

o
RE: Moving Attic Access -- Same Rafter or Different ??

I agree, either bay is fine. I would use joist brackets and double that header. Cut back 2 bays if a larger opening is more useful. No problems if done correctly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here