Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cowhorncreek

Weather Stripping

I need to replace the weather stripping around outside doors in the house. Having never done this, I need some advice, please, as to the best brand of such insulation to buy and easy to install.

I hope this is the right forum to ask this question on.

Comments (6)

• User
    14 years ago

The longest lasting weatherstripping is the compressable kind that installs in a slot between the door frame and door stop trim(slot cut in the door stop. Installing it requires removing the door stop, cutting a step slot, and reinstalling it about a quarter inch back of the original position.

That is not the easiest, just the best.

The easiest would be self adhesive weatherstrip stuck to the door stop. However, that will cause the door to bind, spring the hinges, and make the door very hard if not impossible to latch.

The felt on a strip that nails to the door stop and fits against the door will not hurt the door/hinges, but also is the least effective.

I don't know if the old style copper strip variety is still available---the kind that is V shaped and nails to the door frame in front of the door stop. That was pretty good, except for getting snagged and torn.

• lido
    14 years ago

The old style copper strip variety IS still available but it's made in bronze. It is extremely easy to install and won't disintegrate like the self-adhesive stuff.

The old style is called spring bronze. My local old fashioned hardware store always has it in stock. Big box stores around me don't have it and don't know what it is. You can also get it online at kilianhardware.com.

We've used this in 3 homes now, both around doors and wood framed windows and it works like a charm.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so very much for the info.

• drywall_diy_guy
    14 years ago

Check out the site below - lots of good tips, including weather stripping an exterior door.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weather Stripping

• User
    14 years ago

LIDO, you cannot imagine how happy I am to read the metal weather stripping is still available. Whew!!

As soon as I get off here, I'm ordering it from the online source at kilianhardware.com.....

You are a lifesaver!

Well, I just placed an order with them. Thank you a heap.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

You can also use silicone tubing held in the corner of the stop and jamb with silicone caulk.

Resource Conservation Technology (Baltimore, MD) has all sorts of glue in and slot in gaskets and seals (and even a special router to cut grooves without pullig the stop bead off).