Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
De-constructing Old House

Posted by jfjacki (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 18, 11 at 13:24

I love this forum. I read it all the time. This is the first time I have needed help that I couldn't find an answer to.

I feel as though we have bitten off way more than we can chew as a family.
We are de-constructing a 1914 two-story farmhouse for the lumber. We have a 100-year-old-plus barn on our property and we desperately need the wood to repair it.
We have gutted the inside, removed the electrical, two layers of siding, one was cedar and taken any windows that are usable.
This is where our biggest problem has started, the next layer is tongue and groove Yellow Pine and it is nailed to oak with 10 penny nails. It will not come off with a crowbar and will not budge or even splinter when pounded from behind with a sledgehammer. Some ideas would really be appreciated, I would hate to lose it by cutting it off. It would be great to replace the deteriorated second floor in our barn.
Any suggestions would be taken gratefully.

Does anyone know if the old painted cedar siding is worth anything? Or should I just re-side the chicken house with it?

Jacki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: De-constructing Old House

Obviously, each layer of the t&g is supported by the others around it, in addition to being tightly held by the fasteners. Try starting at the top and ripping the top row off if you have to. Then pry each row off from the top edge. Maybe you can slip a recip saw under them and cut the nails.

Know however that all this lumber is covered in lead paint. Protect yourself while doing this demo work. If you were using a contractor, he would be legally obliged to use the new EPA lead remediation procedures. These rules do not apply to DIY. I guess it might be safe enough to reuse it in a barn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here