Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace insulation

Posted by newhomeowner-2009 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 8, 09 at 13:11

I just had my fireplace chimney cleaned, and the repair guy suggested that I get a fireplace insert that can prevent a draft when I'm not using the fireplace. This is a good idea, so went over to Home Depot and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Online, all I could find was this, http://ucanhealth.com/local/merchandise/?pid=2576&ptt=Fireplace_Insulating_Plug which looks to me like just an overpriced piece of styrofoam. If anyone has any suggestions, either homemade or commercial, I'm all ears.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace insulation

A retrofit damper should be installed at the top of the chimney and requires a clay tile liner. It is operated from the side of the fire box by a cable.

They are sold through fireplace shops, chimney sweeps and Amazon.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: top damper

o

The chimney sweep recommended that too, but the price he quoted was $500. This, or something like it, seem slike a more economical way of doing the same task. I saw this on Amazon and I see it is theoretically available at Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100662572&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100662572&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D22X-_-100662572

o

If you put URL's in the box provided and give it a name, people can click on it.

Would you really take that thing out every time you wanted to use the fireplace? I suspect you will use it once and then throw it away because of the mess it makes or you'll try to start a fire and smoke up the house. Then you'll be back where you started.

If the chimney sweep wants to charge you $340 to attach a $160 damper to the top of the flue tile, you're talking to the wrong guy. Order the damper online and offer him or another chimney sweep $100 to install it.

All that is required is climbing up there with the damper unit and a tube of glue and sticking it on top of the clay flue tile and then dropping the cable down the chimney and securing a bracket to the side of the fire box.

Avoid temporary solutions to permanent problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: installation instructions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here