Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ceiling drywall repair

Posted by izzie (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 31, 09 at 13:11

I have repaired a hole in Wall that was about 2" across using a piece of drywall bigger than the hole and removing the "chalk" part to fill hole, leaving the paper intact bigger than the hole instead of using tape and it worked very well. Now I have a hole in Ceiling of bathroom I need to repair about 8" x 10". (replaced vent fan but had to be installed in slightly different spot, new one bigger and wouldn't fit under a pipe of some kind in attic space..I don't know what its purpose, runs from front of house to back of house, white pvc, about 3" in diameter) I was hoping to use this same method but I need to think of something to keep it in place while drying.
My 2 ideas are:

1)once dry wall mud and dry wall in place put a slat across it temporarily to hold in place. But will the weight of it eventually pull it down or sag?

2)Use the slat on the backside attached with drywall screws so it spans across the "inside" and use option 1 also until dry.

Does this sound like an o.k. way to repair?

What do you think this pipe is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ceiling drywall repair

With that big of a patch you will be happiest with a solid backing. I've done exactly this type of repair (after my foot slipped while I was walking in the attic!). If you don't have a backing, your repair may sag. For the backing, use a piece of 1/2" plywood or particle board. If you put it in from above, make it so that it is a couple of inches larger than the hole in both dimensions; if you're doing it from down below, make it larger than the hole in only one dimension so you can slip it through the hole. Put a temporary sheetrock screw part way through the center to have a "handle" to hold onto for the next step. Screw several sheetrock screws through the sheetrock around the edges of the hole so that they also screw into the backing material and draw it tight to the back of the opening. Then cut a patch of sheetrock to the correct size and just screw it to the backing. For a repair like this, I find that you get a flatter result if you don't use the overlapping flap method, but simply cut the patch to the size of the hole and finish it with paper tape and joint compound.

o

If you put in on the ceiling is it still drywall?

o

qwerty-
I guess we better stick with "sheetrock" then!

o

I hate hanging the ceiling with "wallboard" :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here