Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhzr2

Tin ceiling cornice wall interface

JHZR2
9 years ago

We are redoing our kitchen, and decided to go with a tin ceiling. Got 24x24 panels with a 6" square pattern, then a tin cornice with an egg and dart pattern.

We put plywood up, got it as flat as we could, put up the tin ceiling and it looks great. The seams and lines are all really good, and you cannot see them if you look across the room.

Then we got to the cornice. We had our lines drawn, we know that the walls are not flat, but that's less of the issue. The challenge is that the cornice, when nailed, doesn't appear really flat against the wall or the times above.

It seems that even when nailed they don't lie flat, perhaps because inconsistencies in the wall and ceiling height makes it buckle slightly at some spots.

Next issue is joining. Butt joints as well as miter/coped joints are all tough because the butts don't bend close enough, while cutting with snips makes a good coped joint impossible. I may do mitres for I ternal and external joints and cut them with a power saw. Any thoughts on that?

So, can I assume that caulking and joint compound will cure all ills? Is there any best practice that I should try to adapt? It's rather disappointing given how perfect and seamless the tin went up on the ceiling. I just don't want to be totay thrilled with the ceiling, and totally disappointed with the cornice look.

Any advice would be great. I've read all the how to sites, but getting the cornice flat and perfect is not covered.

Thanks!

Comment (1)