Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can roof or window leak when it's not raining?

Posted by drymanhattan (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 12:57

I have an intermittent puddle of water that appears under my bathroom vanity, which is under a (new) window, and also where a hot water PVC pipe runs. I can't find any correlation between the puddling and rain, use of sink, or use of heat. Before I rip out the vanity or tile, is there a way to rule out a window and roof leak? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can roof or window leak when it's not raining?

I would call a plumber first.

o

Hi put some newspaper on the floor to check for leaks. The leak may be from the sink fittings.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o

OK, I solved the mystery. I removed the base molding that was nailed to the back of the vanity and the water suddenly spurted from the plastic heating pipe running behind it. As long as the nail was IN the pipe, the water had periodically leaked from the hole, presumably when the heat kicked in and the pressure increased. Removing the nail was like pulling a finger from the dike. I replaced it with a tack, turned the thermostat off to reduce the pressure, and am now waiting for a plumber. Thanks everyone for the advice.

o

Ahhh,, The old hole in the pipe leak.

Happens a lot.

And to answer your question.

No a roof or window can't leak without a water source.

Glad to hear you found the problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here