Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flokla

sliding glass patio doors

flokla
15 years ago

We have a double slider from kitchen to patio that is VERY difficult to slide. We have cleaned track and applied WD40 but lasts only a few days. Will we have to purchase a new door or can this be fixed? Thanks

Comments (9)

• sdello
    15 years ago

take the sling door off and look at the rollers. they can be replaced. I suspect the "wheels" are gone or damaged.

• trancegemini_wa
    15 years ago

I agree with sdello, it's probably the wheels. they get worn and need replacing after a while, mine have just gone again and need to be replaced as well ;)

• pattyvaughn
    15 years ago

I'm having the same problem.With the sliding glass doors opening hard to open. We have taken down the door. (Which was very diffacult.) And replaced the rollers. The store did not carry or make this roller so they sent a replacement. Which still did not work. The door is still hard to open.
    I would like to replace the door. But can not find these places that they talk of on TV. "surpluse Or Discount" stores.

• jamesbodell
    15 years ago

Check that the header is not settling on the tops of the doors. My doors were getting pinched.

• clocker122004
    15 years ago

I agree with the roller replacement. We have a dual-pane door that is 4x8 feet & very heavy. I have to take it down annually to clean & relube or replace the rollers. They get full of dirt from the wind and hosing off the patio. Home Depot & Lowes have exact replacements but they are way too flimsy for the weight of this door. I plan to fabricate my own replacements using industrial grade, sealed roller bearings.

• flokla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED. WILL STUDY FURTHER AND SEE IF THIS IS TOO DIFFICULT FOR US OR IF WE WILL HAVE TO CALL IN A "MR fIXIT"

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

The rollers of many doors are adjustable. Take a closer look at them and see if there are any small screw driver or allen wrench ports.

• macattac
    15 years ago

Believe it or not, you aren't supposed to use products like WD-40. Use spray-on furniture polish. It has wax in it for easy gliding and does not collect dirt like oily lubricants do.
    Ed

• deets
    15 years ago

On many sliders there is a screw that will raise or lower the door. It may be sitting too low and is scraping