Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drilled 3/16" hole through top of floor joist. problem?

Posted by bryguy11 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 12:50

I'm running cat6 from the first floor of my house to the router in the basement. I drilled through the first floor from the top, down into the basement. My first attempt ended up going into a floor joist below. I drilled about 2" into the top of the joist (2"x10") with a 3/16" bit before realizing. Does this pose any risk to the structural integrity of the joist? I'm debating buying a 3/16 dowel and gluing a segment of it down into the joist to fill the empty space in the joist removed by the drill bit. Not sure if this would help at all, or if it is necessary. Please let me know what you think.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drilled 3/16" hole through top of floor joist. problem?

The dowel will be good practice for future furniture repair, but not necessary for joist repair.

o

Based on your description, it probably did not have any significant impact on the load carrying ability of the joist. If it was my house I would not worry about it.

Bruce

o

Fagetaboudit.

o

OMG! ! !! You drilled a 3/16 hole through a 2x10 Joist????

Tear the entire house down and start again.

At the very least take the time & effort to fill those giant holes !

Your house is about to fall on your head!!!

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

o

Completely unnecessary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here