Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drilling scew in brick

Posted by olgam89 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 26, 06 at 12:47

Hi, stupid question probably, but I have an exposed brick wall and would like to place a screw in it to hang a picture, can I just drill on it or will the make it crumble. Also the wall is covering in some weird dust, how do I get that off?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drilling scew in brick

You can drill in it, but you should use a masonry bit, not a regular one. I would drill into the mortar rather than the brick face so it won't be as obvious if you take the picture down. You can get a box of concrete screws, with the proper drill bit included, at Home Depot for $6-$7. If you use another kind of screw, it could loosen up over time, or you would need to drill an oversize hole that would be big enough for a concrete anchor plug that you could screw into.

As for the dust, unless it's loose and can be vacuumed, it's probably old mortar stain and would be a nightmare to clean and you would have to use a particular acid. I'd live with it or paint the brick if it's so spotty it bothers you.

o

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that tool bit a try.

o

The screws that HD sells are called Tapcon. They are designed for masonry and do come with a bit. Take your time drilling. Go all the way into the mortar. Like kudzu said dont go into the brick. It is too hard, takes forever AND it might crack.

o

Try this instead - http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product.asp?product=196517zz&dept%5Fid=400

o

Tapcons are designed to go into the masonry not the mortar. If all you want to do is hang a picture, use a plastic anchor and screw inserted into a hole drilled (proper sized masonry bit)in the mortar.

o

Plastic anchors are evil. Use RAMSET or similar. Anything but those plastic things.

o

I use lead anchors and find they work very well.

o

For a load like a picture a plastic anchor and a wood screw are all you need.
They are easily removed and the hole in the mortar repaired if you ever need to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here