Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
osita70

Removing a hex screw with a stripped head.

osita70
18 years ago

I need to get a screw/bolt out of an oak bed to take it apart. The problem is the hex screw head is stripped. The person who put it together made it extremely tight and then I ruined it by trying to remove it.

What do I do now? I read somewhere the you could solder something in there to make the opening smaller again but this is a wood bed so that probably wouldn't be a good idea.

I do need the screw once it comes out so I can't do anything too destructive.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (11)

• sdello
    18 years ago

A couple of thoughts
    Can you take the remainder of the bed apart and try to "unscrew" the member that the screw is fastened to?

Can you hammer in a larger hex wrench and try to turn it?

Next option would be to drill it out.

I would not be too concerned with destroying the screw. If it is that badly stripped you shouldn't use it again anyway and even it is an uncommon screw, I'm sure there is a replacement available somewhere.

Hope this helps.

• Debbie Downer
    18 years ago

there's some screw type thing... forget what its called... which you drill into the stripped screw and because its threaded the opposite way, as you turn it it backs the old screw out.

does that make sense? If you go to a good hardware store and explain it they should know what you're talking about.

• Don_
    18 years ago

It's called an 'easy out' and will probably work if you drill the proper size hole.

• User
    18 years ago

First thing i would try is a pair of Vice Grip pliers---the locking variety.

Drilling and using an easy out takes a bit of practice and skill, as easy outs are very brittle and are much more difficult to remove if broken in place than the original problem.

Other methods are cutting a slot in the head, usually done with an air powered grinder and a cutting wheel, and using a large screwdriver/wrench combination ----- cutting the flats down to the next smaller wrench size---or trying one of the stud/bnroken bolt removing tools available.

• stoneonecorp
    18 years ago

They have removal kits at sears for about $20 for 3 size bits...You just drill it in reverse

• higginsx
    18 years ago

I've taken a Dremel took, carved a groove into the screw head and taken the screw out with a normal slotted screwdriver.

• osita70
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I did end up getting a dremel and used it to cut a new slot in the screw head. Worked like a charm.

• sdello
    18 years ago

Dremel is a great tool to have. Not wasted money at all.
    Glad it worked for you.

• jonfleck88
    15 years ago

I've found the best way to remove a stripped hex bolt is to weld a Allen wrench to the bolt.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to remove a stripped nut or bolt.

• Gama Covarrubias
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I was trying to unscrew a hex head on my airsoft Beretta M9 grip and the screw just turned smooth. I tried making a slot on the screw but I still can't get it out. What should I try to get this out