Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diverting water from roof - no gutter

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 16, 09 at 12:29

A friend has a bump out on his house where there is no gutter. Water coming down that stretch of roof drops off the edge of the shingles, splashing mud onto the side of the house and indenting the soil. Besides adding gutter - which he thinks would be unattractive - what options are there for diverters?

I suggested rain handler, but he is looking to put something on the roof, like a metal channel that would direct some of the water towards the gutters on either side of the bump out. Is there anything out there like that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diverting water from roof - no gutter

An "L" shaped metal strip that slides under the shingles at a slight angle to the roof edge and diverts water to one or both sides can often work flawlessly for a short width and is best made of copper or factory finished aluminum in a dark color or a color similar to the shingles. I prefer the copper ones.

o
RE: Diverting water from roof - no gutter

Thanks, the metal strip idea is what he had in mind. You wonder why the builder didn't do it from the get-go.

Yes, the copper would be attractive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here