Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prefinished Hardiplank

Posted by wwbach (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 27, 06 at 12:16

Can anyone comment on using prefinished hardiplank? They have a color that is basically what I am looking for. Will the finish hold up better than painting it once it is up? What is the cost difference? Thanks. -- Bud

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prefinished Hardiplank

I presume you are speaking of the standard grey used by Hardy. I have always considered it to basically be a primer and I presume any quality exterior paint would adhear just fine. If it is availavle in other colors I have not seen those. The cost difference would be what ever the paint will cost.

o

Whether or not it holds up better depends on the quality of paint you would otherwise paint it with. I doubt it would hold up any better than a high quality paint you could apply your self. I have also heard that during installation a lot of the pieces end up getting scratched which requires a lot of touch up afterwards anyhow. Depending on price I think I would just paint it after it is up.

o

Thanks. They have a decent selection of colors (see the attached link). There are two advantages that I see. One is that they offer a 15 year finish warranty and the finish is baked on at the factory. And two, I'm in Chicago and the painting season (some would say the siding season) is done for the year so I'd have to wait for spring to have it painted. Prices are coming in at $148-$152/sq in the prefinished material. I suspect it would cost me almost that much to have it painted. -- Bud

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardiplank ColorPlus

o

Anyone with paint peeling/cracking on HardiePlank Colorplus lap siding [the pre-painted stuff] please email me. Particularly interested in Canadian and the Northern States.
thanx.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here