Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barrychan_gw

Roof Leak

barrychan
17 years ago

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and need some suggestions from experts like you... after the heavy rains this past weekend in Flushing, New York... I noticed a small leak on the roof. I went up to the attic to look at the leak and i noticed the leak is coming from the area around the vent pipes. We started calling up roofers and since the strong winds blew off shingles from different parts of the house, we thought it would be a good idea to install another layer of shingles on the house in addition to fixing the area surrounding the vent pipe.... the house only has 1 layer on it currently. the whole roof was replaced 15 years ago. my house is only 650 sq ft, gabled roof and i did a rough estimate that my roof is around 1500 sq ft...

the estimates coming from roofers are like 7000, 4000, 3800, 3300. I spoke to some people and they said if the roofer charges you more than 1 dollar per sq foot, then they are overcharging you. Is that correct? is the idea of adding another of layer of shingle a good idea? it seems like I can't find roofers that charge close to 1 dollar per sq ft on asphalt shingle roof... any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

Comments (3)