Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gutters, Phoenix, AZ

Posted by deshouse (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 12:11

We came from the state of WA and moved into a house in Phoenix, AZ without gutters. After some storms where the water actually came into the tracks of the windows (inside the house) we decided we really needed gutters. From electrical work we knew that that the roof line was foam over some bird board.

We informed the estimator for our gutters and he stated no problem they would use very long screws. We went ahead and when the installers came they stated they only had screws which were 2" long and they would install it into the flashing at the roof line. I am hoping there is wood behind it the flashing, but I can not tell.

As you can guess that is a hard time to make a decision, and even though I didn't feel comfortable with the idea I said alright, because they have done this before; we are supposed to have a 15 year warranty on the materials and 2 year warranty on the labor.

Everything in our guts states that what they did was wrong, and could cause us problems in the future, but in AZ they don't believe what they did was wrong.

I don't know what I am looking for, but I would guess it would be something in writing from an authoritative organization or government that would back up our belief. If anyone knows what to do I would appreciate some comments.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gutters, Phoenix, AZ

Did you get it in writing that they were to use very long screws? What is birdboard - is it the kind of wood that they should have nailed into, or not usable that way? If you didn't specifically have a contract for the long screws, I don't know if you can do much now, especially as you let them go ahead even when you found out they weren't using the long ones. You might want to check though to see if what they did do is considered to be acceptable anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here