Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
needinfo001

How cold will an unheated area of house get in winter?

needinfo001
9 years ago

I live in central arkansas.
I have a storage room that is a part of the house but is seperated and you must enter it from its own entrance outside. It is right infront of the carport. The roof is attached to it and you can get a ladder and see the attic for the rest of the house also. Since there is no heat going to it, i was wonder how could this area could get in winter.
we have fairly mild winters in arkansas. I need to store plants in there that cannot be left outside and i want to make sure the temp does not go below 40F.

The room is the area under the carport. The door is on the back side.
Please advise

Comments (5)

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Not insulated, and not connected to the rest of the house, it will be the outdoor ambient temperature. It would need insulation and a heat source to remain above 40ð. You would also need a very strong light source, or the plants will die from lack of sunlight.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Not insulated, and not connected to the rest of the house, it will be the outdoor ambient temperature. It would need insulation and a heat source to remain above 40ð. You would also need a very strong light source, or the plants will die from lack of sunlight.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

If it were me, I'd buy a $50 oil-filled electric heater with a thermostat. I have a similar climate to yours and I store plants in my greenhouse during the winter. I have a heater that is set to come on at about 37-38 degrees F. I don't end up using much energy, and I don't have to worry about a cold snap zapping my plants. I agree with GreenDesigns that you need a light source if you have plants that are not completely dormant, and putting in some insulation will be a cheap way to make sure you don't use a lot of electricity unnecessarily.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

As cold as outside, or even COLDER because of the lack of sunshine. Unless you put in a heater, of course.

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

If it is on a slab, it is coupled to the ground and that will moderate the temperature to some extent. What the end temperature will be is hard to predict because it depends on heat transfer rated from the ground, what the ground temp is, what the air temp is and transfer rated to the exterior. Insulation can't hurt. If it is not air-sealed from the attic, that would be your first step.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm