Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blubungalow_gw

New roof meeting siding - trim issue

blubungalow
10 years ago

Hi, I just had my roof replaced. It was a tear off of original 1920's cedar shingles in addition to 2 layers of asphalt shingles. The question is regarding a little roof over a doorway - and how the contractor finished it. I don't believe this is the proper way to install the flashing/trim. It is not a clean finish, the trim is huge with an unfinished edge, installed over the shingles..and is it ok to nail through the shingles like this?? The contractor said large gaps are always a problem with cedar shake tear offs. I might be wrong - but isn't there a better way to trim - make the transition between the roof and siding? I am hoping that someone here can give me adivise or instructions on how this should be properly installed.

Comments (3)

• klem1
    10 years ago

It sounds like the gaps he is talking about is the fact wood roofs are lathed rather than decked. I'm not certain why that would preclude using step shingles. I agree the large flashing looks awful on the small porch. So that we better understand how the flashing is installed, please answer a few questions. Does the flashing turn 90 deg and extend 2 or more inches up and behind siding? Is that old flashing or caulk between shingles and siding? Nailing through shingles or flashing leaving nail head exposed is to be avoided if possible, 2 heads are often exposed and sealed with cement on final ridge. If you are asking about what appears to be nails near outer edge of flashing,using that wide of flashing leaves no other choice and should be cement sealed. In hindsite,it would be worthwhile to deck the little porch if that is the only way steps could be used.

• blubungalow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Klem1 - thanks for your response.

I will have to ask or take another look - but I don't think that he went behind the siding at all with flashing.

I think that the thin piece running along the siding is the old trim (that was the only metal exposed on the old roof). I do know that it is metal - not caulk.

He did use OSB on this little roof - and he said that even though he used OSB there was still a big gap...

Another question I have is - what do you think about the shingles at the peak...does this look right? This is frustrating.

If I ask him to tear off the roof and use step shingles - will that help the situation?

Or is there something I can explain to this guy and have him redo...or do I chalk it up and look for someone that can take care of these details properly.

• klem1
    10 years ago

blubungalow wrote on
    Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 14:33
    Hi Klem1 - thanks for your response.
    "I will have to ask or take another look - but I don't think that he went behind the siding at all with flashing. "

"I think that the thin piece running along the siding is the old trim (that was the only metal exposed on the old roof). I do know that it is metal - not caulk."
    Ok,I can see that in the new pic. He ran new flash under old flash. That makes it unnessary to have new behind siding. The one piece flash is still a problem,it can leak into the wall. That flash or one similar is to be used on a headwall.

"He did use OSB on this little roof - and he said that even though he used OSB there was still a big gap..."
    I'm guessing the gap is between new shingles and siding. That would be expected if it had 3 old roofs. A large gap actualy makes it easier to install step shingles and add a counter flashing to offset the gap.

"Another question I have is - what do you think about the shingles at the peak...does this look right? This is frustrating. "
    Honestly,I'm not sure exactly what I see. The peak looks dfferent in the first and secound pics,but that's not the main problem here.

"If I ask him to tear off the roof and use step shingles - will that help the situation?"
    Only if you were fimilar with roofing practices,which obviously you are not.

"Or is there something I can explain to this guy and have him redo...or do I chalk it up and look for someone that can take care of these details properly."

Here it is in a nut shell. We are dealing with many assumptions here and the best and most logical thing I can do is tell you "THERE APPEARS TO BE MULTIPLE PROBLEMS". Common sense and experience tells me there is likly other and possibly even worse problems elsewhere with the job. Appears to be and is are two intirly different animals. For you to attempt educating or challenging the roofer based on an internet exchange with a stranger is foolish at best. I suggest you try and inlist a local expert who can look at it for himself. You need the intire project evaluated. Depending on local building code,the building inspection office may be the place to start. Ask if a permit is required and if one was pulled. Ask if contractors are required to be licensed and/or post bond,and if that was met. If code inforcement doesn't want to be involved,ask them for direction. If you are over a certain age,many states attorney general has a special task force to curtel rip offs.
    Good luck and I wish there was more I could do.