Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
75 year chimney leak problem

Posted by mstanleyg (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 5, 09 at 11:23

I have a 75 year old cape cod home located on the south shore of long island, ny, with a brick chimney & slate roof. We have a second floor bedroom that has always leaked where the chimney is attached. The leaks appear by the ceiling at the roofline and spread as time progesses. Besides the continuous leaks, the chimney is badly spalling (large pieces of brick facing chipping off) above the roof line only - the rest of the brick on the front of the house require little maintenance.

We have attached the problem from two fronts: the roof was re-flashed and tarred several times to a point where the roofers point to the brick chimney as the problem; the chimney was painted, waterproofed, and sealed several times (it has always been painted) - yet the problem persists with the brick deterioration and leaks. We have gas heat (converted from oil 15 years ago), gas hot water, and have converted our fireplace from wood-burning to gas logs. Some contractors have suggested replacing our clay chimney liners as well with steel - something we haven't done. Based on what I've read, rebuilding the chimney above the roof line appears to be one of the better options available.

Given this, I would appreciate advice on how to approach fixing this problem and the types of contractors I should call.

thank you for any help in this frustrating and damaging problem
mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 75 year chimney leak problem

The fact that you mentioned using "tar" (even if it's asphalt cement) suggests that the roofers are not addressing the issue properly. The flashing at the chimney should be replaced rather than patched with temporary patching materials.

o

Bricklayer to repair the bricks.

o

A cricket to divert water around the chimney used to be a roofing standard but I've hardly seen them in any new construction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here