Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robnj_2006

Slightly Damaged insulation

robnj_2006
14 years ago

Hi, I was hoping someone can give me some guidance. I was fishing a power cable for a tv down an outside wall yesterday and unfortunatly I tore through the insulation between the inside sheet rock and outer wall. The fishing line prety much tore up the outside of the batting then the power cable finished the job! Is this something I should be concerened about Have I ddone any real damagae to the insulating abilities in thei 4 ft stetch? Is it worth getting some expanding foam try and add some cushion bettern the outer and inside wall?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it. It will make no measurable difference in the insulating efficiency of your wall. No walls are perfectly insulated in the first place. There are all kinds of little imperfections and spaces because of gaps, placement of the insulation around wiring and plumbing, etc. Expanding foam will not reach all the way to the trivial damage, but might make a mess. I guarantee you that that wall space is many times more energy efficient than your windows and doors. Move on to other home repairs...this is nothing.

• macv
    14 years ago

But first you must be punished. Take your wife dancing or to see a romantic comedy with a dog in it.

• robnj_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for easing my worries. It was a very frustrating exercise! And I'm happy to move onto the next item on my list. As for taking my wife out, I think she would be more inclined to get out without the kids and just have a cold beer with no interruptions. The movie would be more of a treat for me!

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Fishing cable is always annoying. If you think you had a problem, I should tell you about the time I miscalculated drilling down from the attic and didn't stay within the wall cavity...instead I drilled a 3/4" hole through the top of a built-in wooden bookcase. Now do you feel better?

• drywall_diy_guy
    14 years ago

"But first you must be punished. Take your wife dancing or to see a romantic comedy with a dog in it."
    LOL !!!

• energy_rater_la
    14 years ago

kudzu..so did you run the wire thru the bookcase?
    I have a small cabinet that the top shelf is taken
    up by a wire that runs to the addition..did you do that?
    LOL!

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

I didn't do yours, but if you want to hire me I can show you how to do it yourself. I'll even bring my own super-long bits with the flexible shafts!

• pjb999
    14 years ago

I have to admit when we retrofit alarm wires, the insulation does get damaged, and I hate to do it (worse when your drill bit grabs it and twists it into cotton candy?

Can't really be avoided but I've often considered throwing some spray foam in (the window type so you don't bow the walls)

To some extent, the insulation will re-expand a bit to fill the spaces.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH