Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior Door Trim

Posted by ijensen (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 10:33

When I installed a new exterior door, I used vinyl trim to eliminate the need for future painting. However, the frame that goes around the door and holds the door on, was painted and now in need of repainting. It extends out apx. 2 1/4 inches on both sides and is a little over 2 inches wide. Is there a trim that can be purchased that looks like an "U" that can be placed directly over the wood? I'm pretty good at modifying things, and had hoped a vinyl fence rail could be cut off to fit (by removing one side), but it is too narrow to fit across the front width. I just need white in color, so should be able to purchase stock.

I considered ripping some strips, and could do that, however didn't like the fact that one side would not have the factory edge or finish for the "width" piece.

Any help or suggestions out there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior Door Trim

Why not use aluminum trim coil as that is what this type of product is made for. You just need to sheer it and bend it on a brake.

o

I wouldn't put trim coil there. Inevitably it will accumulate dents and you'll be stuck with them.

I realize you want to avoid painting, but I'm wondering about the quality of the paint job that was there to begin with. I would do any necessary wood repairs, then prime and finish with two coats of a top-notch exterior enamel. Should last a long time with proper prep. And if it dents or scratches down the road, it's easily repaired.

If you still want to do that, maybe start with a pvc sleeve for a 4x4 post. Check on cutting technique and getting the right blade for clean cuts without melting, etc. But it still sounds like trouble to get it precisely right.

o

Paint it properly and don't worry about it for a long time. Go to an independent paint store, tell the guy what you have, spend $25-35. on supplies and paint it.
Just because it peeled once doesn't mean it will always, if it is done properly.

o

how long ago was the door installed??

get the paint done right the first time..
our house is 17yrs old..with painted door frames..
I still haven't repainted them..and they don't need it.

don't use the trim coil..if its dented..it has to be replaced..if water get to the wood behind it..its now a bigger problem..

-dkenny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here