Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovemrmewey

Need Advice!

lovemrmewey
9 years ago

Our home is 36 years old and has an intercom system. Lightning put the intercom out of service recently, and I have no clue what to do. ICs are obsolete and the alternative is to abandon it, patch holes and pretend it was never there, or whatever. Before I call an electrician who State Farm recommended, I would like to know if anyone has any experience with this problem, possible replacements, etc. Please share your experiences with this if you possibly can!
Thanks so much!

Comments (3)

• User
    9 years ago

Had the same situation in our house when we bought it. Our intercom also had an outside speaker/mic.

Could not find any repair or replacement parts except for custom made---which were in the thousands of dollars.

Had a cordless phone with a base and one satellite unit that had phone to phone connection for our previous place. Simply bought a replacement system(for less than $100) that had a base and three satellites.

One phone can call any satellite phone simply by dialing the appropriate satellite number(phones designated 1, 2, 3, and 4).

The brand is Panasonic. Have had this type(and brand) of cordless land line phone for over 20 years---even bought replacement batteries once.

• lovemrmewey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Handy, I appreciate your response! So, did you patch all the holes in the house? Insurance company will pay ($500 deductible) and if there were anything out there that would do, I think I would go with that - I don't believe there would be coverage on patching all the holes (8 total). I miss the music feature (which I can do in other ways) but I am looking down the road when we must sell this house. The upkeep is killing us, my husband has been ailing for years, and we are retired and on a (limited) fixed income. Alas!

But I am so appreciative of all responses! Take care!

• User
    9 years ago

I patched holes myself---used to have a handyman/remodel business.

You could just leave the units and not worry about it. Unless seeing the non working system bugs you.

Look around for local groups that help home owners on fixed incomes with small jobs. Christmas in October is one national group and there are usually church/fraternal/business groups who also help out.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert