Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to fill space at top of storm door

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 9:31

Our Larsen door replacement came. Our first one disintegrated.
We installed the door and there is about a 1/3" space above it. Yes, we could put some weatherstripping in there, but it could get wet and cause mold.
Is there any kind of aluminum sleeve available that we could slip over the top of the door, to adjust its height and close that space up?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to fill space at top of storm door

Did someone cut the side rails (frame) too short? Every storm door I've seen, you cut the side rails, and there's an adjustable "U" sweep on the bottom of door. The top should always fit tight, you adjust at the sweep.

This post was edited by Roof35 on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 19:56

o
RE: How to fill space at top of storm door

You could try installing a plastic or aluminum door top. (Just like they have aluminum door bottoms and sweeps they also have tops that can be insulated and slightly extend your door.)

I saw some at the Home Depot when I was buying new weatherstripping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here