Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxbender

Craftsman Garage Door Opener - Remote Problems

mxbender
15 years ago

Hi all,

Just moved into a new house. We inherited two craftsman garage doors (one for each door) and two three-button remotes (139.53753).

Both doors work fine from the wall button and both remotes open and close one side without a problem (so I don't think it's a battery issue). But neither works on the other door. I've tried programming the remotes as instructed on the GDO and other alternative ways I've found online, but no luck.

The GDO that I can't get working with the remotes is a Craftsman 139.53672SRT with a red (orange?) button. The GDO that is working is also a Craftsman -- I don't have the model number but it has a purple button.

Can anyone suggest anything? Is there something I should be doing with programming that I'm not? Do I need a new remote(s)?

Also, FYI, I have HomeLink buttons in my car and I can't get those to work with either GDO.

Thanks,

Matt

Comments (5)

• ron6519
    15 years ago

Garage door openers come with two remotes. It sounds like you have both remotes for one door. Get the model # off the opener that doesn't work and go to Sears and pick up an opener.
    Ron

• shannonray
    15 years ago

My two year old 3/4 hp sears unit will not open with the remotes when the air temp is cold. It will only work with the wall button. The inside light does NOT blink when using the remotes. The safety sensors leds are on and steady Not blinking. I can open the door with the wall button get in the car and back out of the garage and the remotes will close the door. But the remotes will not open the door unless you bring the remote to within a foot or so of the motor unit. After the air temp warms up everything works just fine. I understand cool air temp can cause the door sensors to be not aimed right but they seem to be because the wall button works and the motor unit light never flashes. I think I might have a reciver problem that shows up when the air temp gets cold. Any other Ideas?
    Thanks

• vakita1
    15 years ago

We recently moved into our new home. We reprogrammed the outdoor keypay and now the car remotes won't work. I'm sure that this is an easy fix, but we don't have an owner's manual. It's a 1/2 hp unit. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

Try programming your remotes. If this causes the keypad to stop working but both remotes work ok you know you have a problem with your keypad. It is important that you press and immediately release the smart/learn button when programming or you will erase the memory and can cause problems like you are having. Could still be a bad keypad.

• celt101
    15 years ago

Sounds like your logic board might be going on the fritz. If you think you might want to replace it yourself, I can tell you where NOT to buy it. I recently bought one from Ontario Supply in New York from their web site for $60. Unfortunately, it has turned out to be defective and they won't refund my purchase price even though I sent the defective unit back at my own cost. So, don't buy from them, they don't deal fairly in my opinion. I think you're best off just calling a local repair service and let them replace the board. If you replace the board yourself and it does not work, you're just going to end up calling a repair service anyway. Ontario Supply operates under the following web sites:

http://www.wholesalegaragedoorparts.com

and

http://www.liftmasterpartsonline.com/

In my opinion, you should avoid this company