Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forcing Vinyl Siding to Color Fade

Posted by wrldruler (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 31, 08 at 8:20

Hello. I had some HVAC work done on my house, and they had to remove one of the electrical disconnect boxes on the side of the house.

The vinyl siding under the box is a lot darker than the rest of the vinyl siding around it. I had no idea the siding had faded so much after 15 years in the sun. It has gone from a grey-clay to a grey-white. You can actually see the dark spot from the street.

I considered replacing that section, but I know that I won't be able to color match. I thought about taking siding from the back of the house, but the back doesn't get any sun, so it too would be darker than the side.

I am trying to figure out how I can force that spot to become lighter, so it matches the sun fade of the rest of the siding.

Any ideas how to force vinyl siding to fade? Can I use sand paper? Can I use bleach? Should I just try to paint the dark spot?

Thanks,
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forcing Vinyl Siding to Color Fade

The UV light from the sun causes most of the fading.

There is not really any way to speed it up.

You could try and mix some paint to the faded color, but that will also prevent the spot from actually fading.

o

If the electric box was not noticeable to you before, just get an empty box and put it back to cover up the spot.

o

If it is easily reached, you might try wiping it several times with a light bleach mixture. This worked for my grandfathers siding when we had the windows replaced and the original color was exposed once they were finished.

You might also hang something there if it is in a good location for a outdoor plaque, wallmounted bird feeder, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: This DIY book has often helped me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here