Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Downpouts on only one side

Posted by mikezusa (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 8:04

Only one side of house has downspouts. On the exact otherside it seems I am getting some overflow. Because of slope on the otherside I am not sure adding one at either corner is a good idea. I was thinking of adding one in middle instead.

Is that an usual placement for a downspout?
Is it strange there are only downspouts on one side?

Any ideas and tips welcomed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Downpouts on only one side

First check for clogs. But if you need another one, put it on the other side. Best if you can get half the gutter sloped that way. Also, use 3" x 4" openings, if you can. If you have smaller, it's a good idea to replace them, as well as use 3x4 downspouts.

o

Is putting one in the middle of run (as opposed to the corners) an unusual setup?

In my case the sloped area is a driveway that slopes towards a garage. No grass/soil to take the runoff if I were to put one or two at those corners.

o

You'll see numerous downspouts on a long run, such as an apartment complex. However, the gutter is sloped so the downspouts get equal amount of water, roof area also comes into play. Can't remember and am too lazy to look up, how much fall you need for each foot of gutter.

On a residential setup, it would look odd to me to have one in the middle and one on the end. One on each end would look more symmetrical. In which case the high point of the gutter would be in the middle, with fall to each end. So you would have to rehang the gutter.

Just my opinion, messing around with gutters/downspouts is too darn dangerous and time consuming for the average person. Gutter runners can tear down and run seamless gutters in a matter of hours. They can provide the correct fall, hidden hangers (additional charge vs spike & ferrule), and give you a professional job at a reasonable costs.

o

Is it unusual to only have 2 downspouts (both on same side) for an entire house?

o

Depends on the size of the house. Mine only has 2 downspouts at the front of the house and it works fine.

o

I only have 2 downspouts. They both come down on north side of the structure, but 1 gutter is on the west side, the other on the east side. Typical gable roof style.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here