Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flaking cement...

Posted by RitaOtay (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 20, 05 at 2:52

The house was built in '56 and the problem started this year... The cement door 'sill' is starting to flake on the top... When I sweep the leaves back outside, out of the hall way, I notice a fine grit going with it... The sill itself has some small dimples but it doesn't pose a tripping hazard just yet... I'd like some suggestions as to what I can use to seal it to prevent further problems and perhaps build it back up so it's perfectly flat once more...

Rita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flaking cement...

Use a wire brush remove as much loose material as possible, then fill and level the area using prepared vinyl cement patch, you can purchase as little as a 16 oz tube or as much as a gallon and it is very easy to apply and smooth. After the patch dries you can apply a sealer. Any home center, such as lowes or Ace Hardware will carry a suitable sealer and will advise you how to apply it.

o
RE: Flaking cement...

The flaking/shaling effect that you describe usually occurs with freeze/thaw cycles when moisture has permeated the concrete, frozen (expanded) and thawed. You can trowel on vinyl cement to level out the surface, but it'll be pretty obvious since its color never matches the old concrete. If that's not an issue, then go ahead and use it. If the concrete's not deteriorated too much and you just want to prevent it from deteriorating further--- wash and scrub the concrete with a bleach solution (or commercial cleaner) to remove dirt and mold and let it dry thoroughly. Then brush or roll on liquid concrete sealer (available at most home improvement stores). That should help alleviate moisture penetrating the concrete.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here