Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emttr

Veranda Roof and sealing adjoining conditioned space

emttr
9 years ago

Hello to all. 1st time poster but long term browser of the forums.

I am tearing out drywall on the bottom floor of a 2 story ~1,900 SFT home due to some rodent issues that have compromised my duct system-flexible ducts. my plan is to inspect, further seal any previously indiscernible entry points or other gaps that seem outside of the norm, sanitize, adjust some services, etc before i zip it all back up. the house has a veranda porch of course there is a roof . i have discovered deficiencies in the framing (serious gaps that i have since had somewhat bridged with drip edge). I am visually noticing no real air sealing/separation between the porch roof space and the space between floors-web truss joist that exist between the floors of the supposed conditioned space. basically the porch roof space opens into the "between floor space" without any real barriers providing protection for the unconditioned porch roof (the only insulation i see is part of a crap insulation job where the portion of the garage that extends beyond the 2nd story butts up to the "between floor space"). Question: is this normal construction practice? I would like guidance/ information on best ways to remediate this issue (add a barrier?) or if this is even necessary. additionally....the house has a utility room just to the west of the garage with electric, phone, cable and gas service runs that only has *smh* a clear plastic vapor barrier with holes providing the separation for that roof line from the "between floor space" mentioned above.

if you've made it this far, thanks for at least hanging with this me and this post.

I have searched this issue through the search sites and have reviewed some threads here. didnt find anything but if this has been discussed, the links are most welcome.

This post was edited by emttr on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 2:50

Comments (3)