Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Molding on exterior window sill : name?

I need the name of the molding that extends an exterior window sill.

I saw some rot on an exterior window sill, that is on two double hung windows framed together. So I pulled the piece off to see how bad it was. I don't know the right terminology here.

The wood window dates to 1986, and was a pre-hung/pre-fab item, the kind that is inserted into the wall opening, then molding added inside and out. The window has a regular sill, part of the pre-fab unit. Then there is a piece of trim added to the sill that essentially extends it, and overlaps the top edge of the aluminum siding. It's not "brick mold". That's along the sides and top. It's not an apron, like on the inside: there is none.

The rot was bad, so I need to replace this strip. The dimensions that are visible are 1 1/2" by 1 1/4" (actual size, not nominal). It is the now-visible inside of this strip that confounds me. The profile is a series of small steps. If I use an ordinary (nominal) 2 x 2, it is never going to fit right.

Given that this is a developer house, this must be a ready made type of molding. What is the name, and can I find this is in a standard home improvement store?

Thanks for your help.

Underside :

End view. In this shot the surface facing toward the top was that which extended the window sill. The surface facing right was perpendicular to the ground.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County