Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roof Vent Pipe- Can bugs get into them?

Posted by TD_TD (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 1:51

I just fixed a roof leak coming from a roof vent pipe sticking up from my kitchen and I began to wonder if bugs could use this pipe to enter my home. I live in Florida (bug heaven) and we recently had an infestation of roaches in the kitchen around the sink area.

In Florida you have to spray every month and I do that. We've never had a problem with roaches before. I have sprayed the kitchen repeatedly and I think I have licked them. But I after being up on the roof working on flashing around the kitchen vent pipe I began wondering. This pipe is near a nearly flat porch roof. When I was up there I found the porch roof littered with all kinds of leaves and little branches and I also found there were ants wandering around up there.

Does the vent pipe have water in it that would block bugs from getting into my kitchen? Would anything happen if I rigged some screening to cover the opening of this roof vent?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roof Vent Pipe- Can bugs get into them?

Let's clarify what your vent pipe does-is it a vent for your kitchen sink (plumbing), or some other vent-HVAC, dryer, etc.?

Plumbing vents should NOT have water in them as their purpose is to prevent vacuuming the water seal out of sewer gas traps when flushing, draining etc. That liquid seal will prevent most insects from house entry. I say most since some larvae can hatch after being laid in such conditions.
If you are going to screen them, the screening cannot reduce the vent area.
The seal between vent and roof/wall penetration (usually a boot or flange) should be maintained. The best construction is strategic flashing. If caulk is used, remember it has a short service life.
Trying to keep the organic matter off the roof will help minimise insects looking for a meal or building material.

o
RE: Roof Vent Pipe- Can bugs get into them?

Snakes, bugs and all manner of creatures can get it. I'd sleep with a gun on the nightstand.
You will soon die.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here