Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdcaz_gw

Serious damge caused by roof or just cosmetic crack?

SDCaz
9 years ago

About 15 years ago, we replaced our old wood shake roof with MonierLifeTile Duralite tile, a lightweight concrete tile. After a couple of years, we started to notice a small crack appearing at the top of the wall and moving down and was told by the original contractor to keep track of it but not to worry too much about it, that it was probably just 'settling'. Over the years, it has traveled further down the wall (now approx. 9-10 ft.) and widened (5mm max.) and we've pretty much stuck our heads in the sand and ignored it. Recently though, it's been really worrying me that the tile may be too heavy and is actually causing structural damage. I thought if I posted a picture on here, someone may be able to put my mind at rest as to whether it's a cosmetic or structural crack.

I should point out that the beam where the crack originates is not the apex of the roof (I don't think!) and that the house is 2 story but the front of the house looks like a single story, so the roof pitch is very steep at the front! Not sure if I'm explaining this very well but, basically, the roof is twice as steep at the front compared to the back.of the house.

If it does seem to be structural, who would I need to contact to assess or repair it?

Any help is much appreciated!

Comments (3)