Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plumbing vent seal repair?

Posted by daninthedirt (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 22:54

One of my rooftop plumbing vents had the lead water-seal sleeve nibbled by rodents. So the lead isn't folded over the top of the vent pipe anymore, leaving a small gap between the lead sleeve and the PVC pipe.

I could take some time and replace the whole dang lead seal, pulling up a bunch of roofing tiles, or I could just fold some sheet metal over the gap to keep the rain out of my attic. Lead, copper, aluminum foil, whatever. Just form a foil cap, big puncture in the top of the cap to allow ventilation, and fold the foil inwards.

Why shouldn't I do that? In fact, if I don't use lead foil, the critters probably won't nibble it any more.

I could probably just squirt the gap full of RTV sealant, but that would probably just make it hard to do a full replacement of the sleeve someday.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plumbing vent seal repair?

Use some lead sheet.

o

Install a Vandal Proof Stack Cap and be done forever. Roofer's World has them.

o

"Vandal Proof Stack Cap" Complete overkill.

There is no reason or requirement to prevent water form entering the stack, and this device does nothing to seal the stack to the roof.

o

Have the same issue; roofer suggested that wire mesh be attached to the top of stack. I am having the roof replaced because of hail damage so new sleeves will be installed with the wire mesh.

o

"new sleeves will be installed with the wire mesh."

Good luck with that.

I have seen squirrels chew through galvanized steel.

o

Putting a wire mesh cap over the top is a great idea. I may try that. Inexpensive, simple, resilient, and even easily removable.

Yes, squirrels can chew through galvanized steel, but they usually don't have any teeth left after they do. I have a lot of equally chewable cyclone fencing around the property, so I'm not sure why a vent would be more tasty to them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here