Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmal007

2x6 24" O.C. In kitchen

jmal007
9 years ago

Hello, I am new here and I have a question. We recently purchased an old small home and the joists in the front of the house are true 2x6s at24 on center. There isn't a kitchen to speak of, but we plan on putting one in. I am worried about the weight, and am wanting to know if the joists would be able to support it.

There was a slope in the floor but we shimmed and and have applied 3/4 subfloor on top of the old wooden subfloor. I'm thinking I should at least sister in some notched 2x8s since I don't have access to true 2x6s. Or will it be fine the way it is?

I know I should probably talk to an engineer, but I wanted to see what others have to say. Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

How far do the joists span?

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

The span is not listed. That is a crucial dimension. The fact that it is omitted indicates that you are not experienced in this area. You need an expert on site.

• jmal007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Im sorry - I posted this late at night. The span is about 9 feet 6 inches from the sill to the middle beam.

I realized I omitted it later, but the post disappeared on me. I just now found it again. Thank you for the responses.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

jmal007:

You need to Google a "span table" which will tell you which species of wood can span a specific distance at a specific depth and spacing to obtain a specified level of deflection.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 21:02

• tjdabomb
    9 years ago

simple problem, simple solution. since you have access to the subfloor area, simply add notched 2x8's mid-24 (resulting 12" oc) and add blocking mid run. bada bing, bada boom

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

R502.8.1 Sawn lumber. Notches in solid lumber joists, rafters and beams shall not exceed one-sixth of the depth of the member, shall not be longer than one-third of the depth of the member and shall not be located in the middle one-third of the span. Notches at the ends of the member shall not exceed one-fourth the depth of the member. The tension side of members 4 inches (102 mm) or greater in nominal thickness shall not be notched except at the ends of the members. The diameter of holes bored or cut into members shall not exceed one-third the depth of the
    member. Holes shall not be closer than 2 inches (51 mm) to the top or bottom of the member, or to any other hole located in the member. Where the member is also notched, the hole shall not be closer than 2 inches (51 mm) to the notch.

From Notched Floor Joists - InterNACHI Inspection Forum http://www.nachi.org/forum/f23/notched-floor-joists-69169/#ixzz3DD6Jj5ha

I'm seeing no sense in the added expense of material and time in using 8s instead of 6s.

• jmal007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see what you are saying but 2x6s would be too small, since the ones in there are bigger than today's 2x6s.

I will try putting 2x8s 12" on center, unless someone knows of a better way.

Thanks for the responses.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Today's span tables are based on the lumber of today. I recall from long ago that 2x 6 16" OC could span 10'. You could check to be sure. If so, sistering a 2x6 to each of your existing joists would have the total number of joists that would be used for 12" OC. An important consideration for joists is that they be exactly vertical for maximum resistance to bending.