Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccarroll_gw

Noise(?) with a new refrigerator

ccarroll
14 years ago

Just bought a new refrigerator (Frigidaire top-freezer), my first purchase of a big appliance, and happy to have it delivered.

However I already called the store (having discovered that Frigidaire doesn't bother to keep a toll-free customer line) to express concern that the motor/thermostat doesn't cycle down much. In other words, my past fridges (10-20 years old) were silent most of the time, but then occasionally revved up to keep it cool; this one's motor seems to be running 80%-90% of the time. They told me that this is the way the newer ones are, but that they use less power in the long run.

But now after a day it also seems somewhat louder than past ones. Not really loud, just loud-ER, noisy enough so that I'm conscious of it.

What should I do? If I have the store come listen, they'd just tell me that it's normal. And I don't feel I should have to pay a repairman to come listen.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Comments (6)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

The refrigerator should be under warranty, call Frigidaire and complain. The phone number is from the "contact us" section of their web site.

1 (800) 374-4432
    Monday - Friday
    9:00 am - 5:30 pm (EST)

• ccarroll
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The number is a sham. I'm surprised they even post hours. They stopped having actual customer service on their toll-free line a few years ago.

It makes me want to chuck Frigidaire and go to G.E. because of their great "answer line."

The thing is, I doubt it's broken - supposedly it's "supposed" to be louder. Just like current ones are "supposed" to have shorter lifespans.

• macv
    14 years ago

Be sure it is level.

• joed
    14 years ago

The noise is normal for new fridges. Mine even makes note of it in the manual that it is normal and not be concerned about the clicking, whirring and gurgling noises.

Switching brands won't get you quieter one.

• lazypup
    14 years ago

I would bet that the noise of that fridge is like 100 other noises in your home, work environment or automobile. It is not necessarily louder but your mind is attuned to background noises which normally go unnoticed, but if any one of those background noises should change the mind instantly signals your attention to it.

In the case of your fridge, your mind is accustomed to the sounds of the old fridge but now that you have a new fridge, and no doubt the operating noises are slightly different, you mind is calling your attention to it. Once you accept that the sounds you are hearing are the normal operating sounds of this fridge, within hours the fridge will once again go totally unnoticed.

• charlottem74_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I am having the same problem with my new Whirlpool. The compressor/fan runs 10-15 minutes every 20-25 minutes - regularly. Therefore, it is quiet for about 20 -25 minutes at a time (if I am lucky) and then goes on again - very frustrating.

I, so far, am told it is normal!! At least, the person who sold it to me agrees that it should not be running that often.

This problem was evident from the beginning, but I thought it would go away after the first day or two. I have had it a week.