Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to insulate around garage door?

Posted by kudzu9 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 24, 05 at 21:29

I'm in a 4-year-old house with a 3-car garage. I'm using one bay for my workshop. The garage is unheated, but attached to the house. We have mild winters here (Seattle), but it does get down to the 40's in the garage during the coldest part of winter. I'm looking for suggestions on sealing around the garage doors to keep out drafts so I can be more comfortable working out there in the winter. The doors are 5-panel steel doors with a rubber weather seal at the bottom. When the door comes down into place it makes a pretty good fit around the sides and top, but it's just the face of the door resting (pretty closely) against a wooden jam. What can I add around the edges of the doors to prevent drafts better and still have no problems with raising and lowering the garage doors?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to insulate around garage door?

Use the same insulating strip you would use on a regular door. As the door closes it will sandwich this "weatherstrip" between the door and the wood frame. You can do this on all three sides of the door.

o

You can also replace the stops with new stops that have vinyl weatherstrips that help seal around the opening. Then, as Tom says, add the foam or felt tape.

Michael

o

Drape sheet plastic around the workshop bay from ceiling to floor, and let a little extra drape on the floor. It will keep out drafts and keep workshop dust from migrating. Be careful to maintain adequate ventilation.

o

If you add foam tape to the wood-stop that the door rubs against as it closes, you will tear it off.
There is weather stripping specifically made to properly weather strip a sectional garage door. In more northern climates, you could buy it a HD or similar store. Down where you are, they may not carry it as a regular shelf item. Your local garage door company would have it.
It comes with a steel retainer with a vinyl finn, or is available in a Polly/Vinyl that we prefer because it's easier to work with. It can be cut to proper length with an electric mitre saw and it can be finite adjusted with a sharp knife. Install it with color co-ordinated aluminum nails.
If you drop into a door company, they usually have doors on display in the showroom and you could see how the weather stripping is installed, and pick their brains on any little installation tricks.
Properly installed, you will be happy with the results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here