Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fixing gaps between concrete blocks in basement

Posted by valzone5 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 10, 08 at 20:11

This is a cross post from the basements forum. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I am trying to buy my first home and don't want to get burned. Thanks for any help you can give.

I am considering buying a house that has a concrete block foundation. The basement has some wetness in it from the last heavy rain storm that we had. You can see daylight between some of the concrete blocks. I can't get a contractor to return my phone calls to get an estimate or idea of what it would take to repair the foundation (too much work & not enough contractors in our area - they turn work away).
I know that it's impossible to give me a definite idea as to what I am facing without seeing the basement....but can anyone tell me if this is *likely* going to be a very expensive repair. Can the mortar be replaced from the inside? I assume that waterpoofing from inside is impossible.

I live in the northeast (above Maine) - very cold winters, with lots of snow that melts in spring.

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fixing gaps between concrete blocks in basement

You don't say how much of the "foundation" is above-ground, but when you speak of seeing daylight, I assume that at least some of it is. The mortar between the blocks may have eroded with time and a mason should be able to tuck point between the blocks without difficulty. That which is exposed to the weather would have more probability to wear than that which is bermed by the earth.

Most concrete block, or more accurately, cinder block is somewhat porous and having it proofed is probably a good idea. Call someone that specializes in concrete work, particularly foundations or masonry.

o
RE: Fixing gaps between concrete blocks in basement

Thanks newenglandbuilder. There is about a foot - foot and a half, above ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here