Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skuba

Need suggestion to baby proof house stairs

skuba
9 years ago

Hi all,
I have been thinking of a way to increase the safety of the stairs from the living space to the garage. My daughter is now very mobile and I fear that she would eventually roll the stairs if one was to leave the door open.

There is a door leading to the stairs that remains closed most of the day, when we are not going to the car, doing laundry, etc... We always close the door behind us but we are worried about the event of door not shutting properly or guests leaving it open.

I did look into safety gates, but it can't be the ones where one needs to step over as would increase risk of tripping. I did buy one that opens completely, but would have to open inward. You can see the picture attached. The issue is that many times we are coming up from the garage with baby in hand, it becomes very difficult, and riskier, trying to take a few steps back on the stairs to be able to open the gate.

Do you guys think of other solutions?

I thought about:
- Putting a spring door closer. Risk if it shuts on the little ones hands.
- Putting some kind of electronic sound or a discreet alarm that would say something like "close the door" or at least make a sound
- And just putting a little paper/plaque on the door and on the wall in front of stairs saying "remember to close door shut"

What do you guys think? Other ideas?

Thanks so much

Comments (8)

• skuba
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more picture

• User
    9 years ago

No need to reinvent the wheel here. A baby gate and parental supervision is all that's needed. And for a very short period at that.

• skuba
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Baby gate would make it more dangerous. There would be a step up before stepping down to the first step. It's asking for someone to trip.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

Door knob covers. They have to be squeezed in order for knob to turn, but they are easily removed in emergencies. You just slap them hard (slap the front of the knob) and they pop right off.

Here is a link that might be useful: door knob cover

• Olychick
    9 years ago

What about something like this that can be configured to allow the stairway door to be opened both coming and going, then the gate is opened independently....This shape is adaptable so that you could still pass in the hallway, I think. I have one like this around my woodstove that I kind of zig zag so it stands up without being attached to the wall, but you could attach it for better rigidity.

Here is a link that might be useful: Expandable baby gate

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Personally, I'd install those self-closing hinges--designed for exterior doors and garage door entries. (Fire doors and garage doors often have them to make sure a door closes behind a person.) I've linked a youtube on how to adjust these. You can change their closing ability/tension...

Here is a link that might be useful: self-closing hinge

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I understand that sleep deprivation with a new baby in the house can make one forgetful, but I really think you'll be able to remember the close the basement door.

DH and I have twins, and we physically "tagged off" so we knew exactly who was in charge of watching the boys when they were first mobile, and until they could be trusted alone together for 30 seconds without poking each other in the eye, biting, or throwing blocks at each others' heads. If I was home alone with them, I would bring them to the bathroom with me. Our house was well baby-proofed, but that simply doesn't replace supervision.

Here's an example. My Mom has a lake cabin, and we go there a lot in the summer. The rule for our sons was that they could not go on the dock without a grownup. I know a lot of people who let their kids on a dock if they are wearing a life jacket, but I much preferred direct supervision until they were big/old enough to be safe on their own. Each of my kids managed to fall off the dock, with me within inches of them. One went in feet first, and I simply pulled him up by the arms; the other was fishing, on his hands and knees, leaned over, and went in head first - between the dock and boat lift. Again, I was inches away, and pulled him out by the feet. Had he been wearing a life jacket, he would have gotten wedged in the narrow space, head underwater. Being on the dock with them did not prevent them from going in the drink, but it allowed me to yank them out immediately.

Trust me, you can keep an eye one one little one for the few months between crawling and negotiating stairs (teach her to go down feet first). Accidents happen - I get that, it's why they aren't called "intentionals" - but I think accidents are more likely to happen when we rely too heavily on contraptions and devices instead of eyeballs.

• petersteeler
    9 years ago

I agreed with Holysprings! For me, baby gate is enough and proper supervision with your baby..