Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insulating under a small Bay Window

Posted by mpr2008 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 6, 10 at 19:48

I live in upstate NY and have a West-facing bay window that is always cold in the winter. The windows are good quality and insulated/caluked well. The floor and near the baseboard actually has a draft in high winds. I can access the joists going out the the bay from the basement. They currently have fiberglass batting stuff in as far as possible and the underside of the bay from outside is simple plywood with some caulk around the perimter.

My thought - remove the fiberglass batting and spray foam the entire space from the basement. And also re-caulk the exterior underneath.

My question - this is an area about 24" deep, 5' wide and 12" high. Is there a product a homeowner can use to fill this space? It seems to small to call in an insulating company, but too big for the spray foam cans...

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insulating under a small Bay Window

There are DIY low-pressure cavity-fill closed-cell foam insulation kits available from FOAM IT, Tiger Foam, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiger foam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here