Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low-slope roof

Posted by bus_driver (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 4, 10 at 19:41

The manufactured homes forum has few lurkers with actual experience. Most are just people with questions. Friend is considering buying a double-wide already sited on a lot. Thinks the lot itself is worth the price. The double-wide has shingle roof with just 2 - 12 pitch. My thinking has always been that about 3 1/2 - 12 is about the minimum for conventional shingles and that 4 1/2 - 12 or steeper is really better. So how do they get shingles to work on just 2 - 12 pitch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low-slope roof

beats me....
2/12 is torch down roof for my clients.
it is good of you to look out for your buddy!
maybe someone has better trailer experience than I do.

best of luck to your buddy.. and happy Labor Day weekend,

o

Local code is 2&1/2-12 pitch for a shingle roof.

However mobile homes do not come under building codes. That is one way they do it.

My experience with mobiles is that the manufacturer does not really care if their customers do not get a good home. I lived in one for 24+ years and worked on at least 50, from old to less than a year old.

Most companies have a "here it is, take it or leave it' attitude.

o

I don't believe there are any standards for roofing or roof slope in HUD's Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards.

For site built homes, the IRC, NRCA, and most shingle manufacturers allow a minimum roof slope of 2 in 12 for self-sealing asphalt shingles if the underlayment is self-adhering Ice & Water Shield or it's equivalent.

The IRC even allows a 2 in 12 slope with double coverage felt underlayment but that is not acceptable to the NRCA or shingle manufacturers and is a sub-standard construction practice IMHO.

None of these published standards should be confused with good building design for a particular location and building configuration.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here