Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Is this white mold or 'efflorescence'? (photos)

Posted by newhomeowner-2009 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 8, 09 at 19:30

So my basement flooded a couple of weeks ago, and since then has been a bit damp. Suddenly a few days ago I see this white fuzzy stuff on the floor.

Thinking it's mold I immediately spray with hydrogen peroxide, wait ten minutes, scrub a bit and clean it up. Next day it came back.

Then I read that it might be something called "efflorescence salts." See http://www.inspect-ny.com/sickhouse/Effloresence.htm

The pictures below show what I have. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Here's how it looks from a distance:

Basement-1

Here's closeup No. 1:

basement 2

And a closeup of another area, No. 2:

Photobucket

Any thoughts on this (and how to clean it up, if mold) would be appreciated.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Is this white mold or 'efflorescence'? (photos)

Hard to tell.

Looks like efflorescence.

But to be sure, pour a 1/2 ounce or so of straight chlorine bleach directly on the area, then wait 24 hours.

If the white disappears, it is likely mold.
If it doesn't, it is likely efflorescence.

If it is mold, all that is required to clean it is a 1:1 solution of bleach and water applied to the area.

You can remove (or ignore completely if you wish since it is harmless) efflorescence with muriatic or other mild acid dilutions.


 o
RE: Is this white mold or 'efflorescence'? (photos)

Good idea. Just did, and I'll see what happens.

One thing I forgot to mention is that it has no moldy smell.


 o
RE: Is this white mold or 'efflorescence'? (photos)

I dropped some bleach onto the floor (probably more than a half ounce) and it did seem to kill whatever was there. I think it's safest to treat whatever it is as mold. I notice that a couple of sheds on my property also developed a white moldy substance in water leaks, but the texture was totally different.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here