Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mashdiy

Wet window wall

MashDIY
11 years ago

Hi

Could you please advice how to fix the window wall getting wet. Attach is the picture of the window as of now.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments (12)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

No clue from that picture without some details and or more pictures

• alan_s_thefirst
    11 years ago

More details, but typically, it's because rain/moisture is entering the house due to deteriorated or lack of flashing.

Is that photo facing upwards, or downwards? Is it the top of the window, or the sill?
    The first thing I notice is that big screw. If it penetrates the flashing at the top or the bottom, it's an issue in itself.

Most likely the window will have to come out for it to be rectified, and perhaps replaced after repairs are made.

If the house is stucco, that moisture could be entering some distance away.

• MashDIY
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi

Sorry for the delay. The picture is horizontal. The wetness is happening inside on the bottom side (both left and right) of wall of the window

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards
    Mash

• homebound
    11 years ago

You need to inspect outside. Look for gaps, such as caulk that has separated, etc. Also, make sure any gutters are not clogged.

• alan_s_thefirst
    11 years ago

I think I get you now. What's most likely is water is traveling through the flashing or wall, as Homebound said.

Above the window, should be some sort of metal or bitumous layer, that deflects the water out and away from the structure.

How exposed is the area?

• MashDIY
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi

Thanks for the reply. We don't have any flashing outside. Attached is the picture of the window outside. There appears to be gap/crack between window and wall.

The wall is wet on all four corners of the window.

If we have to put caulking outside then which is better as there are so many varieties in home depot.

Also the wall inside which is wet looks like previous owner tried to do some temporary fix and which didn't work. How can we fix the wall. Should we scrape the wet wall and use spackling to patch and then paint it ?

Since its case of wet wall, is there any paint which we could apply outside for water proofing and over it could be painted with our sherwin williams exterior paint.

Thanks for your help

Mash

• MashDIY
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More pictures from inside

• MashDIY
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Right side of window

• MashDIY
    Original Author
    11 years ago

From outside another picture

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Without proper flashing and exterior weathering no amount of caulking will stop the water permanently.

• MashDIY
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I was going thru google to see what types of flashing is installed for windows. Looking at the videos, since flashing is installed below installing the windows, I can't say whether any flashing was installed or not.

We bought the house and we have seen this wet wall.

Could you please how could we install flashing now when window. Since this window on 2nd floor, we can't work from outside.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards
    Mash

• millworkman
    11 years ago

You really cannot, needs to have the siding removed and properly flashed or your really just pissing in the wind!