Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katheee_gw

hardi plank or vinyl siding

katheee
17 years ago

Just wondering if anyone can give me ideas of whether to replace old wood on my house with hardi plank or vinyl sidining. Most of the contractors seem to lean towards hardi plank because of the durability. I don't need all of my wood replaced only some of the rotted wood and siding. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Comments (8)

• fqp25
    17 years ago

I prefer hardi-plank. Vinyl is just boring!! There might be some styles out there that would blend in with the wood your not replacing.

• sweatin_in_texas
    17 years ago

I had the same problem. Thevinyl just doesnt last. Hardi can be placed on your home in sheets or board. Termites wont touch it,you can saw it and drill it. Paint covers in just ONE coat.I would avise using an experienced installer with references. You CAN get it contracted thru Lowes or Home depot. There are a few tricks to working with it,its not a good "do it yourself" project UNLESS you have the tools and experience. Like Andy told Aunt Bea when the freezer broke down,"Just call the man". Good luck!!

• User
    17 years ago

Hardiplank siding is actually easier to install than vinyl---you can cut it with a circular saw and $2 carbide tipped blades from Harbor Freight or Cummins Tools---the cheaper the blade the better. Two blades can easily cut all the siding needed for a 1,000 sq. ft. single story house. A metal cutting blade in a jig saw completes the cutting tools---but that makes a LOT of dust. Or you could buy/rent the electric shears designed for the stuff---about $275 or so to buy and no dust.

It does take a minimum of two people to hang Hardiplank---while one person can install vinyl.

I spent five years teaching HfH volunteers how to install both types---it took an hour to get folks in the flow with vinyl and 30 minutes for Hardiplank. We used screrws to install Hardiplank---there are now nailers that are desicned for both types.

If you replace any siding, you will be money ahead later by replacing it all on the same job.

• dkenny
    17 years ago

I have never seen hardie siding melted by the sun, but I have seen vinyl melted by the sun reflecting in a window.

I disagree with handymac. buy the $16 fiber cement blades from lowes or homedepot. they work fine and last longer than the cheap carbide blades. also hardie can be installed by 1 person. I have done it. its not fun but do able. i needed to make some custom jigs for the job.

if it was my choice it would be hardie, but not the reasons mentioned yet... in NC using hardie reduces the insurance to the same as brick.

if you happen to live on a golf course.. hardie siding can be damaged by golf balls..but easily fixed with Bondo.

-dkenny

• normel
    17 years ago

Hardie, no question. Vinyl is a plastic. Plastic will eventually breakdown under sunlight.

• rbanks
    17 years ago

Does Hardi Plank need to be painted every few years?

Cleetus

• maddiemom6
    17 years ago

Our Hardi is only 3 years old but looks as good as the day we put it in and it gets TONS of sun. The stuff was a pain in the tail to put up till we got the gun.. but was worth it all. DO DO DO wear a mask if you are going to be the one cutting.. the dust is jut awful and makes you cough up all sort of ick.

maddie

• katheee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone, however I don't plan on doing the job myself. I have a 2 story house with steep roof. The contractors tell me hardi will have to be painted in 15 years but vinyl will fade and get eaten up with the weedeater at the bottom. Most of my house is brick except for the garage and upstairs around the windows (which is what gets the hot Texas sun). It seems the wood on the eaves and overhangs are still in great shape. I think this is why they are suggesting hardi (we only have to replace what is needed.