Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
doorviewer Issues

Posted by mzdee (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 18:53

Hello
My house is about 20 years old and everything is fairly standard. Recently, the door knocker fell off (after about 5 years, which is how long I've been here) and the door viewer with it. I went to Home Depot and Lowes to get replacement units. They are all a couple of mms too short! I have tried everything except velcro and gorilla glue. Its just too short. I have no idea how it stayed in place as long as it did. Is there such a thing as an extension for these?
Someday, I'll have normal issues like needing to program my garage door opener.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: doorviewer Issues

Try upgrading your vendor list and find a, real, commercial door hardware supplier.

o

Have you measured your door depth and then done an internet search for that size?

o

Thanks all
I have measured the door. It is standard. I'm sure there is something a tad off as that is typically the way my luck runs. I will look for commercial door hardware suppliers though. Thanks for the tip.

o

Doesn't make sense, keep looking. Are you really sure it's standard? Most of these things are adjustable.

o

Most exterior doors are 1 3/4" thick. The mfg. of the knocker/peepsite combination is where I'd be looking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here