Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hanging a towel bar with a pocket door behind the drywall

Posted by imuscle (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 11, 08 at 18:21

Does anyone know if it is possible to hang a towel bar when there is a pocket door behind the drywall? I know I cannot have anything protrude too far out on the other side of the drywall otherwise I may scratch the pocket door. I have heard of molly hooks but I don't know how flat they become to the wall. Any advise would be appreciative.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hanging a towel bar with a pocket door behind the drywall

A molly might work, but the amount of projection will vary based on diameter. This would be easy enough to estimate with one in your hand. Even so, use the supplied machine screw to collapse the molly, then remove it and either cut it shorter or get a shorter machine screw at the hardware store. Those machine screws need to be long enough to engage the end at full extension.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to use a molly bolt

o

Hello, The frame for a pocket door looks like a ladder. The rungs are about 1x3. Maybe a rung is in the right place to mount the towel bar to it.All you have to do is find one . Tap on the wall, or a bent wire slid to the inside with the door open or use small finishing nails to locate then patch the nail hole.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o

The horizontal frame work for the pocket of a pocket door are placed at 16"OC. vertically.
Depending upon the age of the door frame they could be 1x3 or 1x4.
Find the frame, install your fixture.

o

Hercules Hooks (See image at link below) might work for you. They do not extend too far, yet will easily hold up the rack.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hercules Hooks

o
On Second Thought . . .

Then again, maybe these Hercules hooks won't work! They are designed to hold things like pictures. Your towel rack needs to be secured so an upward movement does not jar it off as well.

Sorry about that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here