Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
centralcacyclist

I don't know which repair company to call for this problem.

centralcacyclist
15 years ago

My dryer won't work. Not a hint of turning on. Yes, it's plugged in! ;) While it could be the dryer switch, I am really suspecting that it's the circuit for the 220 that powers the dryer. I went out to check the panel to see if it had tripped. The only switch it could be (not marked) will not flip either up or down.

So what do you think? Call the appliance repair person or call the electrician to replace the circuit breaker?

Comments (8)

• lucy
    15 years ago

Well if your warranty has run out, look under Appliances (Repair) in the yellow pgs.

• lucy
    15 years ago

Hi - so sorry I got distracted when replying there and should have read properly. Maybe you should call the electrician first, if only to be sure from a safety viewpoint that all your elects are in good order.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

If a breaker is not operating you must call an electrician eventually so why not call him first?

• centralcacyclist
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was hoping someone might know if the fact that the switch will not flip up or down is indicative of it's being broken. I just don't know. If so, then it makes sense to call the electrician.

• greg_h
    15 years ago

Unplug the dryer. If the breaker still doesn't work, then there is something wrong with the breaker/wiring.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

It's broken unless it isn't really a circuit breaker. A fuse for a dryer is a pull out element with two buss fuses inside.

• snoonyb
    15 years ago

Some of the simplest tools are the handiest.

You can purchase from almost any hdw. store a "tick" tester.

Some are proximity and others are significant.

The proximity "tick" anytime voltage is present, when touched to a wire/cord.

The significant will "tick" when voltage is present in individual wires of a cord.

The 240V dryer cord generally are not wound and encased in a jacket, but appear as flat and molded with the center being the grnd/neutral and either side the hots.

If you find that one or both have no voltage present, some appliance repair people are familiar with working behind a dead front panel, in a service, and could change a faulty breaker.

Ask.

• centralcacyclist
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, something I can do! Yep, unplugged the dryer, the switch still won't budge.

Thanks all, I'll post back when I get the fix.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia