Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rotted Cedar Post Top

Posted by wallace58 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 19, 08 at 17:45

Am putting cedar caps on cedar fence posts. The posts have some rot in the center. Should the rotted area be treated with something first?

Tried posting this a few hrs ago. If it shows up twice, my apologies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rotted Cedar Post Top

It's not necessary to treat them if they're basically sound. The problem is if your new cap simply goes on top of the post and can let rain in. If it were me, I'd be caulking on top of the post before putting the new cap in place, and then running a bead of caulk all around the joint after the cap is mounted. Even better is to use a metal cap that overhangs the top edges of the post so you don't have to worry about water getting in.

o
RE: Rotted Cedar Post Top

If you treat the open end grain on every post with Minwax wood hardener (even if the wood is solid) you will greatly limit its ability to absorb water.

The hardener is resin in solvent and will soak into the wood and fill in the many paths water can take to penetrate.
When you first put some on you can watch it just disappear into the wood.
Wait a few minutes and apply more hardener.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here