Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cracked rock lath w/ plaster

Posted by kathybe (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 8, 08 at 15:28

We have a 1940 farm house, walls & ceiling are Rock lath with a plaster skim coat.

Ceiling in the dining room has crack from one side to the other. I just removed the popcorn and old repairs (NOT DONE BY ME) It was paper tape w/ some compound to fill & smooth.

Crack is maybe 1/8 inch in spots with the crack going thru the rock lath. I know how to "V" the crack and clean it out but my question is exactly what compound do I use to FILL it. I do not want this coming back. Can not detect any movement in the rock lath when I push on it.

I read DURABOND or gypsum/sand plaster. Confused. Anything I can get from Home Depot to do this?

Thank you so much, Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cracked rock lath w/ plaster

BTW: I can not find out what DURABOND is. Where is it sold?

o
RE: Cracked rock lath w/ plaster

Durabond is a setting product (you mix the powder with water)made by USG.
It is as hard as plaster and very difficult to sand.

Easysand is another setting product and as the name implies can be sanded.

Both products have a number after them that is the nominal setting time.
They harden be chemical reaction, not drying out like the pre-mix mud in buckets.

1940 was not commonly skim coat plaster, but 2 coat plaster.
Look at a receptacle.
If the plaster is about 3/5 inch thick with gypsum backer is it 2 coat.
A skim coat wall will be barely more than 1/2 inch thick.

If the crack is stable and not moving, mesh type drywall tape and Easysand should make a good repair.

Be sure to moisten the edges of the crack to get a good bond.

The final patch should be at least 12-16 inches wide.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here